If You Are Sick – Stay home and contact your health care provider online or by phone. Do not go to the hospital, except in a life-threatening situation. Use the CDC Self Checker Tool to review your symptoms. Read what to do if you are sick.



The best way to protect yourself from COVID-19 is to follow a few key prevention tips. If you think you should be tested for COVID-19, talk with your health care provider. If you don’t have a health care provider, call 2-1-1 to connect to care or contact the nearest federally qualified health center or one of Vermont's free and referral clinics.

The Health Department recommends testing for:

  • People with COVID-19 symptoms.
  • People who have had close contact (within 6 feet for about 15 minutes or more) with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
  • People who are referred by their health care provider for testing for another reason.

We do not recommend people get tested before visiting another household or attending a gathering just to make sure they're okay. Testing only tells you if you had COVID-19 on the day you were tested. You could have already been exposed but may have been tested too early for it to show up on the test, or you could be exposed to COVID-19 after you are tested. Testing is not prevention, and a negative test does not necessarily mean it is safe to gather with others.

We do not recommend people get tested frequently. We do not recommend routine, repeated testing just for peace of mind. While testing supplies are currently adequate, we need to use what we have wisely.

For testing locations near you, click here.

Health Insurance:

Medicaid is a program for low-income persons whose income and/or resources are below certain levels. Eligible populations include children, pregnant women, single individuals, families and individuals certified blind or certified disabled. In addition, persons with medical bills may be eligible for Medicaid even if their income and resources are above the allowable Medicaid income levels. Medicaid income and resource levels generally change on January 1 of each year. Only certified blind individuals, certified disabled individuals, and individuals over 65 have a resource test. Children and families may be eligible for Child Health Plus or Family Health Plus if they are not eligible for Medicaid.

To apply for Vermont Medicaid, or for more information, click here: https://dvha.vermont.gov/covid-19

  • Catamount Health
    This is a medical/dental/health insurance program. People 18 or older who can’t qualify for any other insurance plans may be eligible. The program can offer free care, prescriptions, and other medical care. 800-250-8427.
  • Vermont Dr. Dynasaur
    This medical program is for both pregnant women as well as children and teenagers. Provides health insurance. 1-800-250-8427
  • VHAP Pharmacy
    The disabled and senior citizens aged 65 or older may qualify for free or low-cost prescription drugs. 800-250-8427.


Find how to get financial help in all cities and counties in Vermont, including in Burlington. A number of programs can help with paying expenses, including rent, heating bills, food, and free health clinics. Government agencies and non-profits offer grants to help pay bills of low to moderate income Vermont families.

  • Economic Services Division (ESD)
    This is an organization that can help residents meet their basic needs. It coordinates government resources such as Essential Person, Reach Up, 3SquaresVT, and Fuel Assistance. Call 1-800-479-6151
  • General Assistance
    Families and individuals who are faced with an emergency may qualify for help. You will need to contact your local community action agency, but the program can provide assistance with basic living needs such as utilities and heating fuel, personal items, food, and housing. The service is fairly broad in what it can help with.
  • Child Care Financial Assistance/Subsidy in Vermont
    Qualified low-income families may be able to get help for child care expenses. The state will subsidize a portion of a low-income family’s cost. 1-800-649-2642, or more on child care programs in Vermont. 
  • Debt Management, Credit and Housing Counseling Services in Vermont
    Whether you need information or help in reducing credit card or medical debts, or need to improve your credit, non-profit credit counseling agencies may be able to help. A number of programs, including debt management and credit repair, are provided to consumers across the state. Find Vermont credit counseling agencies.
  • Foreclosure Help and Mortgage Assistance
    Homeowners can contact a number of non-profit agencies to get free assistance and mortgage counseling. Federal government Housing and Urban Development (HUD) agencies offer free advice and resources to homeowners across Vermont. Read more.
  • Another program available for Vermont homeowners is foreclosure mediation. This is a mandatory program that any resident can sign up for. You will be able to work with a neutral third-party mediator in order to find a solution to a foreclosure filing. More.
  • Vermont Reach Up
    Families with children may be able to access services from this program. It offers assistance that supports work, may have limited cash assistance for basic necessities, and coordinates and offers health insurance. Call 800-287-0589.
  • Energy Bill Assistance
    Find additional details on Vermont utility bill assistance programs that are in addition to the services offered by your county that are listed below. Grants and free weatherization may be offered. Read more.
  • Rent and Housing
    Several different housing and rent programs exist for low income families and individuals. Most of the resources are offered by the Vermont Housing Authority. However, some are run in partnership with other government or non-profit agencies. Find a listing of Vermont housing assistance.
  • Short-Term Housing and Shelter
    Dozens of locations across Vermont can provide transitional housing to those that were evicted or the homeless. While some non-profits may charge a fee, other housing resources are available for free. Case management, self-sufficiency, and other services are also offered. More on transitional housing in Vermont.
  • Cash Assistance in Vermont and Social Services
    The government can provide a number of services, including cash and grants, to income qualified residents. The aid offered ranges from money for paying energy bills to food and rental assistance. Case management is also provided. Learn more.
  • Vermont Family Services and Emergency Assistance
    When you are faced with a crisis and need a place to turn, the Salvation Army may be able to help. Several programs are offered to low-income families, including emergency financial assistance for basic needs such as rent and heating bills. Other resources include food, counseling, Christmas assistance, and more. Click here.


Regardless of your income, a food bank can offer free meals, groceries, government surplus foodstuffs, and other help. For example, many locations can offer clothing and case management. Click here for more details.


As the result of H. 742 signed into law by Governor Phil Scott on Monday, March 30, the eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits were expanded to include the following areas:

Temporarily Laid-Off:

  • Your employer ceases operations for a COVID-19 related reason
  • As a direct result of an order issued by the Governor or President
  • For the employee’s own COVID-19 related isolation/quarantine

Left Employment due to:

  • Being sick or isolated as the result of COVID-19
  • An unreasonable risk of exposure at your place of employment
  • Caring for a family member who is sick or isolated as the result of COVID-19
  • Caring for a family member who had an unreasonable risk of exposure at their place of employment
  • Need to care for a child who has had his or her school or child care center closed

For more information on establishing an initial unemployment claim, click here. Please note that Work Search Requirements have temporarily been waived as a result of COVID-19.

You may be eligible for unemployment benefits if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are following the guidance of a medical health professional or public health official to self-isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19 exposure
  •  You are not receiving paid sick leave or other types of leave from your employer

To ensure that you are properly filing your claim, please contact the Department of Labor’s Claimant Assistance Line at 877-214-3330 or click here for more on how to establish your initial claim. Please note that Work Search Requirements have temporarily been waived as a result of COVID-19.

  • If you are not receiving payment from your employer, such as paid sick leave or paid time off, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits during this period. For more information on establishing an initial unemployment claim, click here. Please note that Work Search Requirements have temporarily been waived as a result of COVID-19.

As the result of H. 742 signed into law by Governor Phil Scott on March 30, the eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits were expanded to include individuals who have become sick or are isolating as a result of COVID-19.

For more information on establishing an initial unemployment claim, click here. Please note that Work Search Requirements have temporarily been waived as a result of COVID-19.